Mighty Petz

7 Surprising Things that Could Poison Your Pets

essential oils1- Essential Oils

Many essential oils, such as eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, cinnamon, citrus, peppermint, pine, wintergreen, and ylang-ylang are straight-up toxic to pets. They are toxic whether applied to the skin, diffused in the ear, or consumed by your pet 

However, here are some pet-safe essential oils: Myrrh, Frankincense, Chamomile, Lavender oil, Ginger, Rosemary, Bergamot.

Keep in mind, cats are often more likely to get poisoned by essential oils than dogs are.

daffodils on a table

2- Daffodils

Daffodils are poisonous to dogs if they eat the bulbs or flowers, or drink water from a vase with daffodils..

aloe vera plant

3- Aloe Vera

Although considered a medicinal plant for humans, alloe vera can cause mild toxicity to cats and dogs and even some liver and kidney damage.

Other examples of plants toxic to pets are tulips and hyacinth.

dark chocolate

4- Chocolate

Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine. It’s an alkaloid obtained from the cocoa plant. Dogs cannot eliminate it well from their bodies, so it is toxic to them and not to us.


5- Over-the-counter medications

This group contains acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen, naproxen (Advil, Aleve), and herbal and nutraceutical products.

green field and the machine

6- Fertilizer

If your pet swallows fertilizer, your first call should be to your vet. Fertilizer causes vomiting and breathing difficulties as well as ulceration in the gastrointestinal tract and burns on the skin. 

packaging of antifreeze

7- Antifreeze

Because of its nice smell and taste, antifreeze can be very tempting to your pets. However, Ethylene glycol, the main ingredient in many antifreeze brands, can be fatal to pets even in small quantities. 

What should you do if you think your dog has been poisoned? 

If you think your dog has been poisoned by anything, you need to act quickly. Contact your vet as soon as your pet shows signs of being ill. If you’ve seen your dog eat something that they shouldn’t, don’t wait for symptoms. Call ​​your vet immediately.


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published