Although dogs have evolved to sustain much of the foods humans consume, there are still a few that can cause them serious harm or even death. Below are seven foods you should never give your pup.
Avocados contain a toxin called persin. Although is perfectly safe for human consumption persin can be very poisonous to dogs. Keep the whole fruit out of your dog’s reach as persin is found in avocado fruit, pits, leaves, and bark.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is often used to sweeten candy, chewing gum, toothpaste, and baked goods.
COFFEE & TEA
Both coffee and tea contain caffeine, as little as 2mg of this natural substance can cause your fur baby to experience restlessness, excessive thirst, a lack of bladder control, vomiting, and diarrhea.
GRAPES & RAISINS
Although experts are not sure which toxic compounds are the cause of harm in grapes and raisins, they are notorious for causing kidney failure and death in dogs.
ALCOHOL & YEAST DOUGH
Alcohol is found in a variety of products including alcoholic beverages, perfumes, mouthwash, paint, varnish, and various cleaning products.
Yeast dough also contains small amounts of alcohol which dogs cannot tolerate.
You may love chocolate, but chocolate is not the best idea to cheer your pet friend with. In addition to caffeine, chocolate also contains theobromine. Both are very toxic to dogs.
According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, the toxic dose for dogs is around 2.2 teaspoons of salt per pound (4 grams per kg) of body weight. Because of this, it is best to avoid giving your puppy salted foods.